It has been 2 months since my mom passed away. Same as me, she is also born in the year of dog.
Frankly speaking, I do not have a lot of good memories of her. Most of the time, I can only remember the times when she was mad with us.. or quarreled with dad. Both of our parents are hot-tempered and you can imagine the sparks caused by them.
But one thing I can remember vividly is that my mom took part in a story-telling competition. She has to tell a story about the importance of talking using Mandarin instead of dialects. If I am not wrong, that was also the time that they are starting to promote speaking using Mandarin. She won in the story-telling competition. I am very proud of her. That was also how Pei and I ended up speaking only Mandarin instead of Cantonese at home.
I also can remember the times where she brought us to the Queenstown National Library. She exposed us to reading... which definitely is a great habit....coz I have been a bookworm since young.
Although my elder sister and brother were often caned by my parents, I was always spared coz I was the only one who was obedient most of the time. I guess that's why I can still remember the incident quite well coz it was the first and last time that my mom ever caned me. My elder brother and I did not take any shower after school. Our grandmother tried to persuade us but in vain. And soon, my parents came back home after work and mom was furious that both of us did not bathe. She threw a pencil case towards my brother but it did not get him. I guess that made her even angrier. It happened that I was near her and I was caned by her. My sweet and sour first / last time.
Sunday, January 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment